I've decided to make a more streamlined version of my previous 3D DLP Printer. After finding a good deal on 8020 for some 2" square aluminum extrusions, I decided to go ahead and start the build.
Materials Used: (most off of ebay)
- Acer H6510BD DLP Projector
- 300mm x 300mm borosilicate glass (https://www.lulzbot.com/products/borosilicate-glass-bed-300mm-x300mm)
- Front Surface Mirror Aluminum 7-1/2” x 5-3/8” 10-32 Mount
- Sylgard 184
- Mettler Toledo SP250 Peristaltic Pump w/Accessories: Lab/Dosing/Analytical/Water
- 4" x 18" Carbon Air Filter Pro Combo 4 Inch Inline Fan Exhaust - F017
- THOMSON LINEAR MOTION 2RBM120DMHL QUICKSLIDE 14-3/8" TRAVEL
- NEMA 23 Stepper Motor
- 80/20 Inc 2 x 2 T-Slot Aluminum Extrusion 10 Series 2020 x 36 Black
- 80/20 1" Square 10 Series T-slot extrusions (came in 36" lengths)
- 8020 T Slot Aluminum Corner Gusset 10 S 4138 N
- 80/20 T Slot Aluminum Angle 1 x 1 x .125 Part #8211 x Approx .875" Long (25PK)
- 8020 T Slot Hardware Screw & T Nut 10 S 3321 (25pcs) N
- Blower Fan
Below, I've mounted my linear rail (14" of travel) to two 36" long 2" square 10 series t-slot extrusions. I used some 8020 right angle gussets to make it very rigid.
I used a 1" square t-slot extrusion to mount the first surface mirror and another to mount the projector. I plan on designing a better projector mount to print on my reprap soon - I'll post pics of that once complete. Just a right angle piece of aluminum holding it on at the moment.
Here is the projector and mirror mounted and base frame cut to length.
I used the original mount for the mirror I had made with epoxy and my mitre saw. I plan on printing a more "elegant" solution once the DLP printer is up and running.
I mounted a 2" extrusion accross horizontally and used 1" extrusions to frame out the vat base. It is cantilevered out from the vertical members and is very rigid. The paper is there to adjust focus and measure the x y values for the print area.
My mirror needs some cleaning...
Now, I've mounted the peristaltic pump on the vertical member. The DC motor can operate in both directions allowing me to fill and drain the vat. I have still yet to design the "nozzle" for the portion that lays in the vat.
The birdcage blower fan is mounted to the vertical member along the back. I will be cutting acrylic pieces to enclose the VAT to the top of the linear rail. The blower will be connected to the top and blow into a activated carbon filter.
Here you can see the blower fan better. I've also mounted the build plate to the linear rail. Notice this design doesn't have a slide mechanism. Previously I had the VAT mounted on rails and it would slide between lifts. For this design, I plan on making various attachments to the Z axis. One will rotate a circular build plate, another will be as shown below, and yet another will have the slide mechanism on the horizontal bar coming out of the Z axis slide mount.
Finally has some time last night to finish the build. I'll post those pics soon. Here's half of the rook I printed so that the interior is visible. This is the first test print and it came out excellent. Has some fuzz from my pocket (brought it to work to take pics).
If you would like to donate to my projects fund, my paypal is: firstname.lastname@example.org All donations will contribute to open source efforts and documentation to make others lives easier. It's a pain trailblazing a new or dirty path, especially with limited funds...
More to come...